Thursday, September 17, 2009

Brainstorming.

It's Thursday night and I'm racking my brain about this community project, which we begin presenting our ideas on Tuesday. I need to limit my interests to 3 organizations that I would be interested in collaborating. I should really be in Fresno with my professor and class, but it just didn't work out, so I am missing an awesome Feminist lecture.

For the first time, I started have fun thinking about all of the different organizations I could work with and remembered that I have my whole life to do this work, not just the next 2 years. That was a much needed perspective, because I was becoming too overwhelmed; feeling like my career was betting on this. It's just one of many opportunities that will come my way.

Remembering back to the days before school, I use to fret about how to make make these connections with organizations, and once I do, what to do. So it's not so different, but I have been down this path before, but this time I have teachers and colleagues. Over the last week, I kinda forgot how important that was, and started thinking about how much this school was costing me. My advise if you decide to go to a expensive school, sign the papers and don't think about it, especially if you have to create.

Back to the ideas about the community project: I have it narrowed down to 3, and then there's a possible fourth. The good news is that which ever organization I don't chose now I can use for my next year project and thesis. The communities I'm thinking about working with are as follows: a local Neighborhood Council in East Hollywood, Silver Lake Farms, The Center for Land Use Interpretation, and the possible 4th is tied between the Arthritis Foundation - LA chapter and LA Care. So the issues I'm looking at working with are: Land, Food, Neighborhoods and health care. All really diverse, but important to me.

Time to take a break on this and start planing the rest of my weeks schedule as its going fast. Tomorrow is a lecture with the 2nd year students at FarmLab.

No comments:

Post a Comment